HAVERFORD CIVIC ASSOCIATION
Meeting of the Board of Directors
November 1, 2011
Merion Cricket Club
MINUTES (PDF Version)
Attending: Wayne Hunt, President, Stephen Billings, 1st Vice President, Lorraine Jones, Treasurer, Jane Carton, Secretary, Tash Duff, Kerstin Humann, Ann Mezey, Karen Shapiro, LeeTabas
Commissioners: Cheryl Gelber, Scott Zelov
Excused: Steven Lindner, Tom Wilkinson
No response: Shelly Brietling, Elizabeth Kuensell, Stephen Lee, Francis Leto, Cary McCain, George McFarland, Steven Mezrow, Carol Rando, Polly Richman, Paul Simpson,
Approval of the Minutes of the October 11, 2011 Meeting –
The minutes were approved after one correction listing Lee Tabas as having attended the meeting. The correction was motioned by Tash Duff, seconded by Lorraine Jones.
Treasurer’s Report- Lorraine reported that treasury funds amount to $5,141.62. ElderNet’s Annual Appeal letter to the HCA was discussed. Steven Billings motioned a donation to be sent to EN in the amount of $250. Jane Carton seconded and the motion carried. Both Commissioner Zelov and Gelber commented on the many volunteer services EN provides for Lower Merion and Narberth residents. Lorraine noted that the HCA sponsored portion of holiday snowflake lights are up and running on Lancaster Ave. Lorraine read two letters of appreciation from Garden Worker members for the $1000. donation HCA presented to them at the “Neighbors’ Night Out” event held on September 13th, in Sharpe Park.
5th Annual Neighbor’s Night Out- Jane distributed the Main Line Times and Suburban and Wayne Times press coverage for the well attended event, which takes place annually in Sharpe Park. Jane read a thank you letter from Sally Greenough, the president of the Garden Workers, including a description of the newly installed bird friendly plantings and improvements that have been made possible, in part, with funds from the HCA $1000. donation. Jane announced that the 6th Annual “Neighbors’ Night Out” is scheduled for Tuesday, September 11, 2012.
2nd Annual “Art in Sharpe Park” – Jane reported that the event will take place on Saturday, May 26, 2012, from 11.00 am to 4:00 pm. Last year’s participating artists and vendors have enthusiastically agreed to return and have encouraged fellow artists to join up.
Federation of Civics Report – Stephen billings had no report due to a later than usual meeting date, now scheduled for November 14th .
Commissioner’s Reports –
Scott Zelov (Ward 10)
- Mr. Zelov reported that township funding for the Pennswood Bridge replacement is included in the 2012 budget, but is not scheduled to get underway until state and federal monies come through.
- The Acme reopening has been delayed until May, 2012, due to prolonged inclement weather conditions.
- The Ludington library opening has been delayed until February, 2012.
- The Ardmore Transit Center project has been scaled back to fit within available funds. Plans still include a 3 story parking garage at the train station, with development of the Cricket Ave. lot, located directly behind the PartyLand store, to include a seven story, 120 unit, apartment building with retail facilities on the street level.
- The 2012 Proposed Budget was released on October 21st without a tax increase. The budget proposal will allow for hiring several police officers early in the new year, but not filling any of the 40 open vacant posts in 2012. The General Fund will increase by 1.6%, but a 1.4 million draw down of the Fund’s reserves is planned to bridge the budget gap. Public hearings for the budget and CIP are scheduled for November 16 and December 7 at 7:00 pm at the township building. Scott noted that the budget proposal can be viewed and downloaded on the township web site.
Commissioner Gelber (Ward 5)
- Ms. Gelber reported that the fall deer culling operation will take place from November 14 – 19.
- The “Taste of Ardmore” Food and Fashion event is scheduled for November 10th at the Toyota facility on Lancaster Ave. Tickets are still available on line.
All present sent good wishes to Commissioner Lindner who recently under went surgery.
NEXT MEETING DATE – TUESDAY, DECEMBER 13TH, at THE MERION CRICKET CLUB
at 7:30 pm.
George Harding, author of “Main Line by Rail” will present a lecture.
Adjournment – The meeting adjourned at 9:00 pm.
Leave a Reply